Our Firm provides comprehensive trust administration, probate and post-mortem planning legal services to individual and corporate fiduciaries facing the task of administering a decedent’s estate or trust.
We provide advice regarding:
- The preparation of probate applications, inventories and accountings with the Clerk of Court.
- Advice designed to mitigate exposure to federal estate tax, fiduciary income taxes, generation-skipping transfer taxes, and other potential tax liabilities.
- Guidance in securing appraisals for investments, real estate, boats, airplanes, closely-held business interests, and other property of value owned by the decedent.
- Guidance regarding post-mortem disclaimer planning.
- Guidance regarding the management of creditors’ claims and the recovery of property owned by the decedent or the estate.
- Advice regarding the preparation of, or the actual preparation of, federal and North Carolina estate, fiduciary income, and other tax-related returns.
- Advice regarding the timing of the payment of debts and estate and trust administrative expenses in order to minimize the exposure of an estate, trust or the decedent’s beneficiaries to the imposition of tax liability.
- Communications with the Courts, the IRS and NC Department of Revenue to ensure the estate or trust remains in compliance with required filing deadlines.
- Advice, where appropriate, to surviving spouses, family members or other beneficiaries regarding the most efficient methods of transferring asset ownership.
- The preparation and filing of all documents to formally conclude the administration of a decedent’s estate.
- Guidance on judicial and non-judicial modifications of irrevocable trusts and decanting to new trusts.